Saturday, August 1, 2009

Welcome, Happy Throngs!


I guess I should begin with an introduction, or perhaps some pithy attempt to justify the fanatical self-regard that can be my only excuse for this enterprise, a platform from which I will proclaim, to anyone who cares to listen, how I am feeling about the things with which I fill my spare time. Instead I'll offer a few words of explanation about its title, which I hope simultaneously reminds readers of the "now playing" page in a daily newspaper, which postings on this page will resemble almost not at all, and conveys the reality that the blog may fall over at any moment. In a crudely drawn flyer for a show I was playing at a bar, I once depicted myself as the leaning tower of Pisa. Whether this tendency to warn those at my side to be wary represents a helpfully accurate accounting of a precarious situation, or a ready-made excuse for failure, I'll leave to the ages.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave! Enjoying the blog so far. Well written, good stuff. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was unaware you'd been writing regularly for Flagpole for so long - I know you'd mentioned writing for them, but I didn't realize the extent! I'm glad you've got an outlet now that I'll be more likely to peruse regularly.

    Just wanted to say good job and steer you in the direction of a film coming up on TCM in September. "I'm Not Scared" is a 2003 Italian film that I'd not heard of until I screened it recently. It's an incredible film - storywise, I have to admit that some plot elements seem obvious, but the way the story is told, the cinematography in particular, is fantastic.

    You may have already seen this one, but if not, I'd highly recommend it - it's airing 9/7 at 10pm, as part of a Tribute to Telluride showcase. The showcase also includes "The Ascent," a good Russian film ostensibly about WWII, but more of a character study and allegory, and Coppola's "The Rain People," which, among other strengths, makes great use of James Caan.

    Here's "I'm Not Scared" on imdb for more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326977/

    -John Britt

    ReplyDelete